Gifts, gifts galore!
Okay, people, it’s go time! We’re down to the finish line – not just of our gift-inspired Friday Faves, but also in the countdown to the holidays! (Or maybe yours have already started.) If you’re scrambling to round up your last-minute gifts (not for lack of trying, but where does the time go???), it’s time to consider some DIY handmade goodness. I love hand crafted, artisan wares at any time of year, but with shipping delays and express delivery fees and the anticipation of package arrival – or the disappointment of a package that doesn’t arrive in time – DIY is the perfect solution.
Making your own gifts takes a bit of time, of course, but you have more control over the delivery date. 😉 More than that, recipients of your heartfelt gifts appreciate the extra effort and love that went into making them. Unless your gift is a footed bunny costume, that is, then all bets are off.
Some handmade gifts are also surprisingly inexpensive to make, while still showing your loved ones how much you care. Instead of the thrill of the hunt from holiday shopping, you get the satisfaction of seeing your project to completion, and the twinkle in their eyes when they open your handmade gift. Whether you knit a scarf or hat, layer cookie dough ingredients in a mason jar, hand paint ceramics, or make plastic canvas ornaments, you’ll get the added bonus of fun, stress-relieving crafting sessions (just add a fire, hot cocoa, and a cat for the perfect winter night in!).
In the spirit of DIY, I’ve put together this last gift-inspired Friday Fave with with a few more DIY gift ideas:
1. DIY Handwarmers – Cozy and cute and the stitching is super simple. You can insert sweet little notes and make multiples!
2. DIY Tile Coasters – Get out the Modge Podge, this is gonna be messy and beautiful. A beautiful mess!
3. Spa in a Jar – The best thing about this DIY gift: a) it comes in a mason jar, b) Spa in a Jar rhymes! (almost) and, c) they’re totally customizable! Choose mini versions of their fave items. So if they hate sugar scrubs, double down on the lip balms.
4. Chocolate & Oatmeal Quick Bread – …in a Jar! While it is the same basic idea as Spa In A Jar, Chocolate Chip & Oatmeal Quick Bread In A Jar is going has the bonus of making your gift recipient’s entire house smell amazing and fills their tummies to boot. Delightful!
5. Lighted Canvas – An excellent and creative way to repurpose canvas even if you don’t consider yourself an exceptionally gifted painter. This piece of art is an easy one to DIY and will help light up your recipient’s life with the thought and effort you put into it, as well as the message you choose.
6. Rustic Wood Coasters – These rustic wood coasters are a great holiday stocking stuffer (if you do that sort of thing), a great idea for a small token of appreciation for a co-worker or a teacher, and are also great as a wedding favor for a rustic themed wedding! Spend an afternoon with your partner crafting these coasters, especially if the guest list is small and intimate.
7. DIY Lavender Fizzy Bath Bombs – Because who doesn’t love a fizzing bath bomb? (cats apparently…I may or may not know this from experience)
8. Photo Transfer on Wood – Wood transfers are a great gift to give a newlywed couple and a different way to help them commemorate their special moments by enshrining it with the effort and time you take to create a work of art around their love.
9. DIY Leather Cord Roll Case – Don’t hate, IKEA & Etsy, but this DIY Leather Cord Roll is SUPER simple and you can make multiples that store easily for on-the-go. (Make vegan versions from fabric or felt.)
10. Marbled Clay Ring Dish – This might just be THE best excuse to play with “adult play-doh”. For all the rings (blingy or stackable), bracelets and doodads, these beautiful marbled clay bowls do the trick and keep the aesthetic up!
11. DIY Fringed Flannel Blanket – Nothing says warm and cozy winters like flannel. Did you know you could make a fringed flannel blanket in under an hour and no stitching required!? This DIY tutorial has you covered. Literally. 😉
12. DIY Gold Dipped Mugs – Sure, I could’ve gone for one of those “write on a mug, personalize it, and bake it at 350 F in your oven!” tutorials, and all of those are awesome. But a gold-dipped mug ups your game with elegance and class. Your family and friends might ask you to show them the trick to your Midas Touch!
Do any of these great ideas put the happy back in your holidays? Or are you still struggling to find a gift for that one special person? Let me know in the comments below.